Half Holistic Living
September is Self-Care Awareness Month, a time to remind us that taking care of ourselves, first and foremost, is essential. I spoke already about how it's also chronic pain awareness month, both of these topics are near and dear to my heart personally, and they are also interlinked. You don't have to be someone with chronic pain however to need self care. Self care is for everyone, it's not a one size fits all, and self care doesn't have to be glamorous or elaborate.
This is my personal 21 day challenge for you, my followers, my peers, my friends, my family, my community. According to research and positive psychology it takes 21 days to make something a habit. If in 21 days you could feel happier and healthier, would you be willing to give it a try? For the next 21 days, I challenge you to practice self care, it could be taking a nap, getting dressed, going to therapy, working out, meditation, gardening, a hot bath, your favorite meal, a mani/pedi, or whatever it is that makes you FEEL GOOD and recharges and fuels you.
Consider journaling through the process, notice any differences, and how you feel. In 21 days you will have created a new routine within your lifestyle, it will become subconscious and you will continue to practice self care and reap its benefits. Cheers to you, and remember, self care isn't selfish, it's necessary. You can't pour from an empty cup!
Make yourself a priority, if you don't, who will? This is your self-care check in, I want you to pause for a moment, think about how you are doing with your self-care. How are you doing with that? How are you managing to take care of yourself? to make yourself a priority?
If you are struggling with self-care, here are some tips to remember:
1. If it feels wrong, don't do it
2. Be impeccable with your words, say exactly what you mean.
3. You don't have to be a people pleaser.
4. Trust your instincts
5. Use positive self-talk, stop shitting all over yourself! cut out the negative self-talk.
6. Never give up on your goals, but remember things take time.
7. Don't be afraid to say "no"
8. Be kind to yourself, kindness matters.
9. Let go of what you can't control.
10. Practice gratitude daily.
11. Block out negativity, positive vibes only.
12. Self-care doesn't have to be extreme, it can be as basic as brushing your teeth, showering, and eating well.
13. If you don't enjoy it, if it doesn't fuel you, don't do it.
14. Reflect on how you are feeling, what do you need?
15. Make yourself a priority
How you are doing with your self-care, what are you struggling with? What's going well? Is your cup half empty or half full? Share in the comments below.